Customer Rights


The brokerage model has general rights that can be summed up as:

You have the right to choose the Case Management Entity that you work with. There are currently three (3) Brokerages serving customers in addition to the county programs. They include:

  1. Resource Connections of Oregon – “RCO” (Marion, Linn and Yamhill)

  2. Integrated Services Network (Marion and Yamhill + 6 more)

  3. Mentor Oregon Mid-Valley Brokerage (Marion and Linn + 3 more)

  4. Marion County Developmental Disabilities Program (Marion)

  5. Linn County Developmental Disabilities Program (Linn)

  6. Yamhill County Developmental Disabilities Program (Yamhill)

No matter which case management entity you receive your services through, you have the right to transfer to the one of your choosing. Just let us know and we can help you switch agencies.

You have a right to choose your Personal Agent.
If you receive services through RCO you have will be assigned a Personal Agent (PA) who will assist you in developing your plan. If you are unsatisfied with your PA for any reason, you can always choose to switch to an available PA who you feel more compatible with. To switch PAs, contact your Personal Agent’s supervisor, their Lead PA. Call our front desk and you’ll be redirected to the appropriate person.

You have the right to a written plan within 60 days of entering brokerage services.
Your PA will help you develop a plan that describes your goals, the support you need and how you will get it. Once you or your legal guardian have signed it to indicate you agree with what is written, your PA can assist you in implementing the plan.

You have the right to a Person Centered Plan.
Your plan is about you and what you want and need. Your PA will utilize “person-centered” planning techniques to make sure that your plan is truly “for you” and “about you.” If you would like a formally facilitated Person Centered Plan, speak with your PA and we will arrange one for you.

You have the right to review and revise your plan.
Once completed and approved, your PA will give you a copy of your plan. You have the right to review and change your plan at any time.

You have a right to work with providers who are qualified.
Once you decide what you need in your plan, you have the option of choosing from a pool of providers to meet those needs. You have the right to make sure the people who are helping you meet your needs are qualified to do the job. All providers must:

  1. Pass a Criminal History Records Check through Oregon’s Department of Human Services Criminal Records Unit.

  2. Agree to the Provider Enrollment Agreement.

  3. Confirm their understanding of their responsibilities as a Mandatory Abuse Reporter.

  4. Be able to legally work in the United States.

  5. If driving, have proof of car insurance on record as well as a current and valid driver’s license. If they are not planning on driving you somewhere as part of their services, they must sign a driving waiver.

  6. Be able to effectively help you get the services you want.

  7. Report any and all injuries and accidents that may happen while working with you to your PA.

You have the right to direct your services.
As a customer of RCO, you are in control of what your plan says and how to best monitor the services being delivered. You, or a representative of your choosing, may initiate and engage in direct contact with your PA at any time to address any issue that is important to you.

You have the right to be safe from abuse.
All RCO staff and the providers who work for you are Mandatory Abuse Reporters according to Oregon law. This means that if we witness, suspect or receive a report of someone hurting you in any way, we are obligated to report the possible abuse to the county protective services office or to the local authorities.

You have the right to move within the state of Oregon without losing services.
Oregon has In-Home Services and Support Service Brokerages covering the entire state. If you move or are planning to move to a new county, your PA can assist you, as needed, in transferring your plan and services to your new county of residence.

You have the right to withdraw from services.
You have the option of declining services if you decide you don’t want them.

You have the right to be notified of change to the services you receive.
You will be notified in writing if, for some reason, services must end, be reduced or be suspended.

For example, if your PA calls to schedule your annual plan renewal and receives no response from you or your family, they are required to send you an official “Notice of Planned Action” explaining what will happen if you do not contact them. If they do not receive a response in the appointed time, your file will be closed and you will be exited from our services.

You have a right to file a grievance or concern with RCO.
If you have a problem with your services at RCO, you should:

  1. First, contact your Personal Agent.

  2. If your PA can’t help you or you don’t feel comfortable addressing the issue with him/her, you can contact your PA’s direct supervisor.

  3. If you are dissatisfied with this outcome, you can contact Independence Northwest’s Executive Director. The Executive Director will investigate the facts supporting or disproving the grievance and will take appropriate actions on grievances within five (5) working days following the receipt of the grievance. The Executive Director will then review the grievance and provide a written response within fifteen days following the receipt of the grievance.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may file a formal complaint with the Oregon Office on Developmental Disabilities Services.

You have the right to file a complaint with Oregon Office of Developmental Disabilities Services.
If you are ever unhappy with any of your services through RCO, you can always file a formal complaint directly with the Oregon Office on Developmental Disabilities Services. Your PA can give you a form to fill out and assist you in finding the appropriate person to talk to.